Thursday, April 19, 2012

Riding on the Wind

Not only is the title of this post the same as an awesome Judas Priest song, it's what it felt like riding last weekend.  The winds were only around 10-15 mph but it felt like a bus was flying past every few seconds.  On the bright side, though, temps were in the 60s and the sun was out, so no excuses for not riding.

I chose to go on my normal route, the same route I always take when I just go out for a ride.  Whatever, I don't like change.  All was well on the early parts of the ride, save for the Ford Focus driver in front of me who couldn't decide whether to haul ass or go the speed limit.  We spent a few miles alternating between both.

The wind was a nuisance but it's better than rain and cold.  It really didn't become a factor until I was crossing the Ohio river.  Gusts of wind were blowing westward, constantly pushing me toward the side of the bridge.  A few times it felt like the bike was going to slide out from under me.  I had visions of the scene in Mad Max when Max knocks the bikers off the bridge.  Swimming in boots, a helmet and a leather jacket doesn't sound like a good time.

On the other side of the bridge, the wind was behind me, giving my bike what felt like 10 extra horsepower.  There's a tip for you hot rodders out there: go in the same direction as the wind for a cheap boost in speed.  You're welcome.

This change in focus allowed me to look around a bit and admire the sites.  It's officially Spring in western Pennsylvania.  That means the trees are green, flowers are blooming, and birds are flying inches from your head.  The plants are so lush you can hardly see the dilapidated and abandoned buildings.

Spring is such a wonderful change from the depression and gloom of Winter.  It's nice to see the sites, smell the smells and to just be outside again.  I look forward to not having to put layers of clothing on just to take out the trash.  Really, though, I look forward to the riding.

I look everyday at the weather during the non-riding season in the hope of a good day.  Very few show up.  Even the last few weeks have been mostly cold, rainy or both.  This past weekend, I got in the first proper day of riding in a month.  It was beautiful the first week of March and total crap since then.  I know I'm whining but this is my blog and I'll whine if I want.

Since then, I've ridden everyday to work.  The mornings have been chilly but totally worth it.  The rides home have been wonderful; sunny, cloudless skies combined with a willing motorcycle.  If the soul-sucking eight hour workday wasn't in between the rides, I'd say i was in in heaven.  

No comments:

Post a Comment