Friday, August 3, 2012

Some New Bikes

As we approach the Fall, manufacturers are staring to release their models for 2013.  Of the bikes released so far, two that caught my eye were the Kawasaki Ninja 250R and the Victory Boardwalk.

The mini-Ninja caught my attention because I like small-bore bikes.  If I wasn't so lazy, I'd post a link to where I wrote about the 125cc Aprilia RS4 awhile back.  I still like that bike.

Anyway, I like the 250 Ninja because it's small, relatively light and inexpensive.  For 2013, it will be completely restyled to mimic its big bro, the ZX-10.  In addition, the bike will get new pistons, new exhausts and new crankcases. 

The frame is new, too, as is the suspension front and back and the wheels.  The instrument cluster is sport bike chic with an analog tach and a digital speedo with fuel gauge, trip meter and something called an "economical riding indicator."

A Big Deal, at least in Kawasaki's mind, is the use of dual throttle valves similar to the ones used by the bigger Ninjas.  Team Green says this adds linearity to the throttle response and helps boost power.  We'll just have to take their word for it.

I like the ZX-10's Mini-Me because it's a cheap bit of fun.  There are loads of 250 Ninjas out there available for a song and they prove you don't need to have millions of horsepower to have a good time on a bike.  Since they aren't very fast, the rider is more involved in keeping his speed up and carrying momentum.   I think they're good bikes and, with the refresh for '13, good-looking bikes.


Now onto the Victory Boardwalk. 

The Boardwalk is a traditional cruiser, so that means big engine, lots of chrome and whitewall tires.  Victory says it's made for laid-back cruising, which could be said about every cruiser, and that it's perfect for a "quick escape."  It weighs 675 lbs dry; I'm not sure it's doing anything quickly.  In essence, the Boardwalk is a styling exercise and a rather boring one at that, so pardon my lack of excitement.

The Boardwalk caught attention my not because I like it (I don't) but because I'm disappointed by it.  Victory, as a company, disappoints me.  They could be the American answer to Triumph (victory and triumph sort of mean the same thing) instead of being another Harley clone.  I would like to think that Americans, being the ingenious people we are, could do better than building another "laid-back" cruiser with an air-cooled V-twin.  Erik Buell can't be the only American who knows what a corner is.

I think Victory setting its sights on building a better HD is setting the bar too low.  I think they can do better and I'm disappointed that they can't look beyond HD.  It's too late for Victory to change its line-up and its image.  It's just a shame they aren't more than what they are.

1 comment:

  1. I think they can't look beyond the truckloads of money H-D makes.

    Honestly, I expect victory to evolve in more of a Honda direction now that they've revived the Indian marque.

    ReplyDelete