Wednesday, July 31, 2013

When is a Motorcycle Post Not a Motorcycle Post?

The answer is when it's this one.  What does that mean?  I have no idea but it sounds good in my head, so I'm keeping it.

During the summer here in Denver, I've been using my Bonneville more and more and my car less and less.  I've used my car for trips to the grocery store and to pick my parents up from the airport on a recent visit.  In fact, I just put gas in my VW for the first time since May.  May!

I forgot how expensive it is to fill the car up.  I'm spoiled by $12 fill-ups.

I've been thinking that, besides a round-the-world trip or a twisty mountain road, the holy grail for a motorcyclist is to ditch the car and keep the bike.  It's a tempting and romantic idea, I'll admit.

It's something I've thought about quite seriously and I've reached a conclusion: I couldn't do it.

Never mind the winter weather and cold temps, I couldn't do it because a car is quite convenient.  Besides keeping you warm and dry, a car can haul things and carry extra people while still being fun.  Last week I bought a rake and it would have been very hard to carry it home on my bike.  I'm sure some creative genius is reading this and thinking they could do it but I'm a lazy genius.  I used the car.

I'm also sure my parents didn't want to be picked up at the airport on my bike.  Yes, I could have rented a car but I used my car instead.  I ended up renting one anyway and it cost me nearly as much as a year's insurance on my car.  Another plus for my VW is that it is paid for and it's also nearing the nadir of its depreciation. 

But it's not just economics and convenience that influence me to keep my VW.  It's mostly because I like the car and cars in general.  I've been a car guy much longer than I've been a bike guy.  My VW is quite fun to drive, even if its suspension is a bit soft and it rolls in the corners.  The 1.8 turbo makes near-instant torque, a great whoosh from the turbo and gets good mileage if I'm light on the throttle.  If I boot it, I can watch the gas gauge plummet.  That's not so good.

It's also cavernous and comfortable.  I drove it from Pittsburgh to Denver loaded with stuff (and my mom) and it averaged 32 mpg and neither of us were tired from the drive.  The car never missed a beat the entire time.  Cruising at 75, you could have a conversation at normal volume and just relax.  My Honda Civic at 75mph was a nervous, noisy wreck.  

I know this blog is supposed to be about motorcycles, but I just wanted to give big ups to my VW.  I've had it for seven years and it's been a great car.  It's currently sleeping under a car cover so the evil Denver sun doesn't kill its paint.

Whatever I replace it with has very big shoes to fill.  In fact, I might not replace it with anything.  I go to car shows and I look around dealers but I can't find anything I'd replace it with that doesn't have Ferrari or Porsche on the front.  And, really, if I could afford a Ferrari or a Porsche, I'd just keep my VW. 

I look around, think about how nice newer cars are and then I get in my 9-year-old VW and go home.  I feel the same about my Bonneville.  I look at new bikes, and there are some I really like, but I can't find one that I like more than my Bonnie.  I very satisfied with both vehicles, if I'm honest.

Mick Jagger can't get no satisfaction, but I can.

No comments:

Post a Comment