Tuesday, November 19, 2013

Small Errors in the Big Picture

When posting about my trip to San Diego, I mused that I would be looking for a touring-oriented motorcycle to take long trips.  My Bonneville did wonderfully, apart from getting noisy in the desert heat, but I was cramped and sore.  So, off I went to look at some bikes.

My main requirements were comfort, fuel injection and liquid-cooling.  Comfort explains itself but I wanted fuel injection for elevation changes and liquid-cooling for the temperature changes.  I wanted to climb every mountain and cross every desert.  FI and liquid-cooling makes this easier.

I had my eyes on an older Triumph Sprint ST.  I like the styling and I like how it fits in between a sports bike and touring barcalounger.  I like the idea of being able to attack the twisty bits while also being able to pound out the miles.

The trouble was the riding position.  My Guzzi was fun to ride but the position was too much for me after a few miles.  The Sprint was only marginally more comfortable and I could see long distance comfort issues on the horizon.  That was out.

I also liked the Triumph Tiger 1050.  It has sportiness like the Sprint but you sit more upright.  Hmm, I thought, this could be my answer.

Not so on the Tiger 1050 because it's a pseudo-adventure bike, which means it's tall and I'm not.  I could barely touch the ground with both feet and, thus, the Tiger 1050 was out.

Other bikes came and went.  I looked at Ducati Monsters (fun but not practical for touring and air-cooled), Ducati Multistrada (ugly, too tall and air-cooled), KTM Duke 690 (fun but so not a touring bike), etc.

One bike that kept coming up was the Triumph Tiger 800.  It ticked all the boxes and I could fit on it.  The Tiger seemed like the logical choice.

It wasn't without faults, though.  I wasn't keen on having ABS, first off.  I don't really find it necessary and it adds weight and complexity.  It's just one more thing to go wrong.  Unfortunately, all 2013 Tigers come with ABS.  Another was cost.  A new Tiger would be significant;y more expensive than any of the other bikes because they were used.  I planned to trade my Guzzi in but I would still have a payment. 

But I kept going back to the Tiger.  Finally, I caved in and bought it.  For the first time in my life, I listened to my head and made the logical choice.

All seemed well at first.  I took it on a few rides, mostly to my local haunts and to work but something kept nagging at me.  I couldn't put my finger on it but something was there, something odd.

It wasn't until I took a ride up to Fort Collins that it finally hit me.

The Tiger is incredibly smooth.  The ride is supple and it absorbs every bump.   I'm used to the harsh ride of my Bonneville and my Guzzi.  This was like riding a Cadillac compared to those two.  The 800 triple also has power everywhere.  License-revoking speeds are just a twist of the wrist away.

The problem and the bike's biggest fault is that it's too smooth.  It's actually quite dull.

At no point during any of my rides on it did I feel engaged with the bike.  It seemed to me like a very blustery Toyota Camry.  The same roads that have me gurning like an idiot on my Bonnie or Guzzi are dispatched lifelessly on the Tiger.  It's a bike you ride with a serious face as you pile away the miles.

In short, I cocked up.

And I also miss my Guzzi.  That bike had loads of warts: the gearbox was noisy, it was uncomfortable, it vibrated right at highway speed, the gas mileage was poor and so on.  Twist the throttle, though, and all goes away as you ride this wave of power and noise.  It was a glorious experience and because the roads that allowed such behavior are few, one to be cherished.

I got none of that fun riding the Tiger.  If I wanted dullness and good gas mileage, I would have bought one of those new Honda 500s. 

To sum it up, I made the logical choice.  The Tiger 800 clicked every single box and met all the criteria.  It is, without a doubt, a fantastic motorcycle.  It's just missing that most important element, one that I didn't know was important to me: fun.

I made the logical choice but not the right one.

No comments:

Post a Comment