Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Cycle World show - Cleveland.

This Sunday, my dad and I went to the Cycle World International Motorcycle Show held in the I-X center in Cleveland, Ohio. The I-X Center is a huge convention center type building by the Cleveland airport.

How big is the I-X center? Big enough to hold a motorcycle show, a home show and have a Ferris wheel inside.

Every major motorcycle manufacturer that sells bikes in America was there except for Triumph and MV Agusta.

Apparently, Triumph wanted their own people to load and unload their bikes and were told that only the Teamsters will be handling those duties. Triumph balked at the idea and refused to be present at the show.

It was a bit of a let down that Triumph wasn't there, but I practically have the specs of their bikes memorized and whenever I want to go sit on a Bonneville and make vroom noises, I can just go and sit on mine.

Here are a few notes and thoughts about the companies there, or at least the ones I nabbed brochures from:

Aprilia:
I am lusting after the RS125. It's a 125cc 2-stroke with 32hp and weighs 280lbs dry. It's a track only bike but I don't care, I want one. I think it wins the most-fun-bike-that-isn't-a-Vmax-award.

The RSV1000's are absolutely gorgeous.

The Tuono 1000's are absolutely hideous.

Ducati:
Ducati's lineup is a like a supermodel with two misplaced moles, right on her face. Those moles are the Multistrada and the new Streetfighter.

I can't figure out the design philosophy behind the Multistrada and I don't think I want to know it, either.

As for the Streetfighter, all is well until you look at that headlight. Calling it out-of-place doesn't do it justice; it's ugly.

As for the rest:
The new Monsters are cool. I didn't like them at first but after seeing a few, I like them.

The Superbikes are just stunning. If they don't get you excited, then you have to be dead. They win the Best-looking-faired-Ducati-since-the-bevel 900SS award.

The Sportclassics take the cake, though. They are easily the best looking Ducati's since the bevel-drive era. The only bike that can match them in style and grace is the Moto Guzzi California Vintage.

Buell:
I have always been a tentative Buell fan. I like their interesting ideas and different approach to engineering but I feel the Sportster-based Thunderstorm engine is the weak link. Since the debut of the Rotax-built Helicon v-twin, Buell finally makes sense.

The Firebolt, Lightning and the Ulysses are all cool and good looking. I like the Ulysses the most because it is an adventure-tour bike short enough for me.

The 1125CR had me falling all over myself. I don't know if it's the clubman-style bar that does it or it's $12,000 price tag but I just love it. I must have sat on it a dozen times. It wins the best-looking-naked-that-isn't-a-Triumph-or-Ducati award.

BMW:
R1200R. It's just perfect, there's nothing more to say.

R1200S. Same as above but with more power. Even more perfect.

K1200S. Fast. Heavy. Expensive. I'd buy one.

K1200R. As long as I don't have to look at it, it's cool.

Kawasaki:
My dad and I actually agreed on a bike. We both liked the Vulcan 900 Custom. I'm not one for cruisers but I liked this bike. The wheels look cool, the engine's not too big, not too small and you can get it in orange.

The more I look at the 250 Ninja, the more I like it. I like small displacement bikes that rev forever and that's what this Ninja is.

The rest of Kawasaki's lineup is underwhelming, except if you like cruisers or sportbikes.

Honda:
Honda has easily the most disappointing lineup. Aside from the VFR800 Interceptor and the new CBR1000RR, everything is underwhelming at best. Go to Honda's U.K. website and see what is for sale over there. What do we get? The DN-01. Thanks, Honda.

Honda is also making their own "chopper", called the Fury. It manages to look like every "chopper" made in the last five years.

Moto Guzzi:
I have already gone on about how I love the California Vintage. Now that it's available in white, I love it more so.

I like the Stelvio. It may never dethrone the BMW 1200GS as the best adventure bike but it doesn't look quite as weird as the GS, either.

Griso 1200 8V: not quite sure what category it is in but that's ok. I like it and I want one.

V7 Classic: it's a good thing this wasn't on our shores when I bought my Bonneville last year. I probably wouldn't have bought one seeing that it's slower and more expensive than a Bonneville but it looks cool and it's retro. Guzzi also showed a cafe version in Europe this year. If they ever put the 1100cc engine in there I may have to buy one. V7 Sport, anyone?

Suzuki:
Bandit 1250S: I like this bike. It's a four that's not some hyper-sports machine that wants to punish you. It's simply a nice bike that you can ride, with a four cylinder that's tuned for torque. Almost like a GS-series bike in modern trim. Plus the half-fairing looks cool.

The rest? See Kawasaki above.

Yamaha:
I don't think I can describe how awesome the new Vmax is. It's v-four is just massive. It's a two-wheeled irresponsibility machine. It's a nice reprieve from the safe, sterile society that we are moving toward.

I kinda like the FZ6/FZ1. They seem like nice, all purpose bikes the Japanese used to build before specialization took over.

Star makes arguably the best looking Japanese cruisers. I like the new V Star 950. Like the Vulcan 900, it's a nice gap between too small and too big.

Harley-Davidson:
XR1200. Possibly the best reason to step into an H-D dealer since the XR1000 and the XLCR. In fact, it's so awesome that I can even forgive the pipes for being too low and on the wrong side.

XL1200N Nightster. Possibly the best reason to step into an H-D dealer after the XR1200.

Odds and ends:

The AMA was there with some bikes from their museum. There were a couple of Suzuki GSX-R's from the 80's, two early Suzuki Katana's, a row of old dirt bikes and a perfect Honda CB750. They were also raffeling off a pair of Triumph Bonneville's, a 1959 and a 2009 Anniversary edition.

Another collection was there whose name I can't remember. I do remember the Kawasaki Z1's, Yamaha R5, Kawasaki Mach III, Suzuki GT550 and Kawasaki GPz1100 they had on display, though.

Another collection had a few ancient Harley's, an Indian Four, an Ariel single and a Moto Guzzi Ambassador among other bikes.

A cafe racer section had a couple of Tritons, a Honda CB750, a Moto Guzzi, a pair of Yamaha 2-strokes and a wicked Triumph Thruxton.

All in all, I liked the show. I got to look at and sit on bikes without a salesman bugging me. I also came away loving a few bikes way too much and had a few bikes change my opinion about them.

No comments:

Post a Comment