Saturday, January 24, 2009

The Sad $300 Motorcycle Story.


Over the summer, I was talking to a neighbor when the subject of motorcycles came up. He had mentioned that when he was in college in Maryland he had an early 80's Yamaha Seca that he used for commuting and basically as his only vehicle. The Seca was also used to commute into Washington D.C. everyday after he graduated, battling all that D.C. traffic. After marriage, the Yam was given to his father-in-law, saw some time in Alaska, slammed into the pavement at one point, was painted grey and then moved to the south. My neighbor reacquired the Yam after his father-in-law bought another bike and it promptly sat in the garage. He made a few half hearted attempts to resurrect the bike, buying some parts and cleaning it, but ultimately gave up and the Seca sat. He also said he was just looking to get it out of his garage. Wait, did I hear that right? Get it out of the garage? Yes, if only he could find some place for it to go. Well sir, I am your man! There's nothing I have a bigger weakness for than a down-on-it's-luck bike with an interesting story.

We went over to look at it and yes, it was rough and no, it doesn't run. Plus, there's no battery. He said he just wants it gone and I could take it for free. While I never have a problem with free stuff, I couldn't take the bike for free. I gave him $300 and the bike was mine. We pushed the bike up his driveway, down the street and then up my driveway and then I passed out. Not really, but I felt like I was going to.

This bike started out as a blue 1982 Yamaha XJ650RJ Seca. On doing some research, I found that this model was included in Yamaha's US line up for one year. It was replaced by the 650 turbo Seca. The Seca was designed with Europe in mind, not cruiser-mad America where we got the Maxim series. Aside from a few minor details, it is mechanically identical to the 650 Maxim. It seems that motorcycle journalists riding the Euro Seca loved it and convinced Yamaha to sell it here. It features a 653cc Air-cooled four with a claimed 71hp, five-speed gearbox and shaft drive. There's also twin discs up front and a drum in the back. The headlight is a monstrous eight inches. The wheels on the old Mini's were only 10 inches. I'm just happy it's round, before Japan discovered the square headlight. It's sport intent is evident in the low handlebar and the semi-rear set pegs.

Two features really stand out in my mind. One is the shaft drive. I'm loving the fact that I don't have to lube a chain, it's just one more maintenance item to put off or forget about. The other is the huge tank. We're talking five gallons plus reserve, here.

Once it was in my garage, I could really look at the machine and see what I am in for. It has a few blemishes, some scratches from the aforementioned pavement contact, an ugly exhaust and grey paint. Why grey? Grey just isn't motorcycle color. Motorcycles should have bright, fast colors or mean, menacing black. Anyway, there is a lot to do on it plus it still doesn't run, the front brakes don't work and the kickstand mount was lopped off to fit the hideous exhaust, so it's center stand only. All in all, I got a good deal, Right? Right?








No comments:

Post a Comment