Thursday, January 8, 2009

I was talking to a couple of old school bikers that I work with about motorcycles and they kept refering to fully-faired sportbikes(Ninja, Daytona, CBR) as "cafe racers". Now, I may be too young to properly comment on this, but I don't consider a Ninja a cafe racer. A cafe racer, to me, is a motorcycle that has started life as a regular, standard motorcycle and then is turned into a cafe racer by either the owner or a dedicated shop. A factory motorcycle can mimic a cafe racer, like the Triumph Thruxton or the Ducati Sport 1000, but won't be a true cafe racer in my mind. It's kind of like "factory custom". Just because the OEM changes a few details, that doesn't make it "custom". Just because a motorcycle comes with rear sets and clip ons, that doesn't make it a cafe racer. A cafe racer, like a chopper or a streetfighter, is created after the motorcycle has left the factory not by the factory.

No comments:

Post a Comment