Sunday, January 11, 2009

One of my favorite motorcycles.

Since I can't go for a ride because it's 18 degrees outside and I can't talk about the Pens without getting frustrated, I'll talk about one of my favorite motorcycles. Ever since I saw Mad Max for the first time I have been enamored with the Kawasaki Z1 900. I adore the big air-cooled fours from japan, but the Z1 is the king for me. I also have it out for the Z1's successors, the KZ1000 and especially the Z1-R.


I love everything about the styling of this machine, even the comically large turn signals. It is easily the best looking of the classic fours from Japan, just barely edging out the Suzuki GS1000S. The chrome gauge covers and the polished, stainless-steel fenders are beautifully gleaming bits that catch the eye. They perfectly compliment the curvaceous tank and the cafe racer-esque tail section. The upswept exhaust, mimicking the Honda CB750's, give the machine race bike looks and the image of power. The centerpiece of all this is the drivetrain, a massive chunk of polished aluminum. There are many places on this machine to rest the eyes, a very important place is the badge on the side covers. This badge references the 900cc's and twin cams resting between the riders thighs.

The Honda CB750 may have stunned the motorcycling world in 1969 but in 1973, Kawasaki delivered a crushing blow. The Z1 was bigger, heavier(by 26 pounds) and much faster than the CB750. The Z1 sported 80hp compared to the Honda's 67hp and decimated the Honda's 118mph top speed by 13mph, screaming to 131mph. The Z1 also came equipped with a twin cam head and an indestructible roller bearing crankshaft. The Honda made do with a single cam and a plain bearing crank. All of this offensive firepower didn't come without a few concessions. The frame was spindly and prone to causing weaves and head shake at high speed. The brakes were also merely a suggestion, doing what they could to stop this 544lb freight train. It's a good thing that most of the Z1's came with a place to mount an extra caliper and rotor.

While this machine was not without its warts, there will always be a place in heart for it. It's combination of speed, style and history attract me like few other things. The sound of that air-cooled four screaming at 9,000rpm is one of the greatest sounds produced by an internal combustion engine. I had the chance to buy a rough but workable KZ900(same thing, different name) and passed on it. I kick myself everyday for it, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment